“There are opportunities to use renewable and carbon-sequestering materials to create substantial economic, social and environmental benefits for Africa and the world.“
Mass Timber Africa is a vibrant group of diverse companies, organisations and institutions from different regions in Africa, of which all have a connection to the timber value chain. Our goal is to involve the African continent in the global discussion about mass timber and talk about the challenges and opportunities of the timber construction sector in Africa. We are excited to bring our unique perspective to the conversation and contribute to the development of sustainable forestry practices, enabling timber processing and constructing green buildings.
To understand the timber construction sector in Africa, we have to do a journey throughout the whole value chain of timber and see different approaches in different parts of Africa. We focus on different projects under the categories of SUPPLY, DEMAND, and ENABLING.
The Mass Timber Value Chain
The Timber value chain can be understood as 3 independent sectors. Each of these sectors has unique challenges that affect other parts of the value chain.
- Fairventures Worldwide (Kampala, Uganda)
- Fairventures Digital – Treeo App (Kampala, Uganda)
- OMT Architects GmbH (Zanzibar)
- Volks.House ltd (Zanzibar)
- Holzbau Hess (Windhoek, Namibia)
- Mass Timber Technologies MTT (Johannesburg, SA)
- XLAM South Africa (Cape Town, SA)
- Nelson Mandela University (Gqeberha, SA)
- Green Resources (Uganda, Tanzania, Mozambique)
- BuildX Studio (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Gatsby Africa (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Dalberg Group (Johannesburg, SA)